Repeat off

1

Repeat one

all

Repeat all

Trans youth left to find new care providers after NY hospital abruptly ends services
Photo #8930 February 22 2026, 08:15

The nationwide rollback of gender-affirming care for minors continued this week with the announcement on Tuesday by NYU Langone Health in New York City that it will no longer provide the services.

The change follows a coordinated, government-wide campaign by the Trump administration to end the practice, including threatening to withhold federal dollars for hospitals that provide treatments for trans youth, including puberty blockers, hormone therapy, and surgery.

Related

Children’s hospital will continue gender-affirming care after “thorny” court ruling

“Given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program,” read a statement from the hospital system provided to The New York Times by NYU Langone spokesman Steve Ritea.

The announcement has left trans youth scrambling to find new care providers.

Never Miss a Beat

Subscribe to our newsletter to stay ahead of the latest LGBTQ+ political news and insights.
Subscribe to our Newsletter today

“They’re just completely abandoning trans youth and it’s disgusting and it’s dangerous,” one mom, Rachel, told Gothamist. Her son is trans. “These kids need care.”

“What I know is that trans youth exist,” said Stonewall Community Foundation executive director Elisa Crespo. “I once was a trans youth myself.”

“This care is supported by nearly every major medical association in the country. American families are really hurting right now. I’m being contacted by parents of trans youth who are devastated and don’t know where to turn.”

After Trump issued his so-called “Child Mutilation” executive order early last year calling for the elimination of gender-affirming care, NYU Langone stopped accepting new patients into its trans youth program and canceled previously scheduled appointments for puberty-blocking medication implants.

Patients already on puberty blockers or hormone therapy were able to continue with their treatments, according to parents who spoke with the Times. That care will now end.

The Trump administration has unleashed multiple federal agencies in its coordinated attack on gender-affirming care for trans youth, based on Trump’s executive order issued last February. In December, Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced proposed rules that said that hospitals nationwide would be denied Medicare and Medicaid funding if they provided the services.

The Justice Department in July subpoenaed dozens of doctors and clinics providing the care, demanding confidential patient information and threatening criminal charges, while the Federal Trade Commission opened an investigation into gender-affirming care providers, accusing them of “deceptive” business practices.

In June, the FBI, under the direction of Attorney General Pam Bondi, set up a snitch line to “protect our children and hold accountable those who mutilate them under the guise of gender-affirming care.”

Dozens of hospitals have chosen to end their trans youth programs in the aftermath, while a few have stayed open under countervailing state pressure.

NYU’s decision comes despite a mandate issued by New York State Attorney General Letitia James early in 2025 that hospitals in the state must conform to New York’s anti-discrimination laws by providing gender-affirming care for trans youth. Hundreds rallied at NYU Langone at the time to protest Trump’s anti-trans crusade.

“Regardless of the availability of federal funding, we write to further remind you of your obligation to comply with New York state laws,” James wrote in a letter last February addressed to New York healthcare providers.

Manhattan borough president Brad Hoylman-Sigal told the Times after the announcement that his concern was what comes next for NYU Langone’s trans youth patients.

“I’m horrified at the consequences that might result for some of these young people,” he said. “It’s crucial that they find alternative care as soon as possible, and I think it’s the responsibility of the hospitals that are ending this treatment to make those arrangements.”

NYU Langone said it was “committed to helping patients in our care manage this change,” adding the hospital’s pediatric mental health care programs, including those for transgender youth, would continue.

Subscribe to the LGBTQ Nation newsletter and be the first to know about the latest headlines shaping LGBTQ+ communities worldwide.


Comments (0)